What Injuries are Reportable Under RIDDOR

Quick there’s been an accident!

When dealing with the aftermath of any accident one of the many questions we need to ask ourselves is “do we need to report this accident under RIDDOR?”

Health and Safety Accident Riddor

What is RIDDOR? RIDDOR stands for Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations and is a law that requires employers, and other people in control of work premises, to report and keep records of:

  • Work-related accidents which cause death
  • Work-related accidents which cause certain serious injuries
  • Diagnosed cases of certain industrial diseases
  • Certain dangerous occurrences

Why do we need to make a report? Reporting certain incidents is a legal requirement so enforcing authorities such as HSE and local authorities can identify where and how risks arise, and whether they need to be investigated and action taken.

So what type of accidents need to be reported? Not all accidents need to be reported, a RIDDOR report is required for the following:

  • Deaths that arise from a work-related accident
  • A fracture, other than to fingers, thumbs and toes
  • Amputation of an arm, hand, finger, thumb, leg, foot or toe
  • Permanent loss of sight or reduction of sight
  • Crush injuries leading to internal organ damage
  • Serious burns (covering more than 10% of the body, or damaging the eyes, respiratory system or other vital organs)
  • Scalping (separation of skin from the head) which require hospital treatment
  • unconsciousness caused by head injury or asphyxia
  • any other injury arising from working in an enclosed space, which leads to hypothermia, heat-induced illness or requires resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours.
  • Over-seven-day injuries to workers. This is where an employee, or self-employed person, is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than seven consecutive days.
  • Injuries to non-workers where the person is taken from the scene of the accident to hospital for treatment to that injury.
  • Diagnoses of certain occupational diseases, where these are likely to have been caused or made worse by their work.
  • Where there has been a dangerous occurrence (near-miss event) with a potential to cause harm.) Not all such events require reporting. For example, the collapse, overturning or failure of load-bearing parts of lifts and lifting equipment.
  • Gas incidents where you are a distributor, filler, importer or supplier of flammable gas and you learn, either directly or indirectly, that someone has died, lost consciousness, or been taken to hospital for treatment to an injury arising in connection with the gas you distributed, filled, imported or supplied.

How do I report a RIDDOR incident? The easiest way is to make a report online at ww.hse.gov.uk/riddor/report and complete the appropriate online report form.

For fatal and specified injuries, you can also make a report by phone, refer to HSE site for further details on this.