The Management of Health and Safety at work Regulations states that you must get help from a competent person to enable you to meet the requirements of health and safety law.

A lot of customers asked what this means and do we need to use an external company. The answer is no you can do this internally but consider the following:

    • A competent person is someone who has sufficient training and experience or knowledge and other qualities that allow them to assist you properly.
    • The level of competence required will depend on the complexity of the situation and the particular help you need.
Competent Person

Your competent person must advise you on what legal duties you have in relation to your work activities and what actions you must take in order to comply with those legal duties. Where applicable the competent person will advise on industry best practice which is normally covered in HSE guidance notes. Guidance notes are used as a benchmark in court and no compliance can lead to substantive fines.  You must consult health and safety representatives in good time on the arrangements for competent help.

Your competent person will advise you on safe systems of work. This will ensure that the controls identified in your risk assessments are followed and monitored.

They will also assist you in monitoring the effectiveness of the measures you put in place to control the risks in your workplace. As part of your monitoring, you should investigate incidents to ensure that corrective action is taken, the findings are shared, and any necessary improvements are put in place.

Candy MC offer specific Health and Safety packages and as long as one is taken out you then qualify for our competent person cover. Due to the nature of the work needed we will not put our name against anything we have not reviewed or audited. Remember if you are audited and you ignore our advice then the competent person cover will be voided.

Control of Noise at Work Regulations

  • Independent advice and an impartial review of what you currently have in place.
  • Fully qualified Health and Safety experts
  • The use of competent person covers for PQQ’s.

Now included with all Health and Safety related services:

  • Noise level detection – measuring noise levels and workers’ noise exposure is vital to protecting the health and safety of employees. The Control of Noise at Work Regulations cover duties regarding managing noise at work and specify legal limits regarding noise levels.

Your consultant will use a noise meter whilst onsite to take a reading and identify any locations where there are noise problems. This will determine appropriate action controls.

Control of Noise at Work Regulations



One of our safety consultants will undertake a detailed inspection of your premises, identifying any areas of non-compliance and potential hazards. You will receive a detailed site inspection report including recommendations on what actions you need to take in order to be and legally compliant. Inspection reports are scored so follow up inspection can demonstrate improvement.



Everything from the basic package is included and in addition, the consultant will assist you in the implementation of controls in order that you become legally compliant and will then undertake a second detailed inspection of your premises once the recommended actions have been completed. The follow-up report will be scored so you can measure your progress and identify any remaining actions.



Everything from the Standard package is included and in addition, the consultant As with Option 1 and 2 and in addition our consultant will remain retained as your Health and Safety competent person, available for day to day support and advice on safety matters. This may include support with incident investigations, additional site inspections, response to customer safety concerns, and more.

Request A Call Back

Scroll to Top