Shining Light on Environmental Impacts
The lighting industry impacts the environment through energy usage, materials used to produce products, and artificial lighting shining into the sky causing light pollution. However, ISO 14001 can help improve environmental performance.
So, how can your lighting company reduce its energy use, toxic materials, and light pollution? In this blog, we will discuss how ISO 14001, the internationally recognised standard for Environmental Management is a great way of reducing your company’s impact on the environment and we will also share some of the other fantastic benefits the standard has to offer.
More About ISO 14001: Environmental Management Systems
ISO 14001 exists to help ensure your business is operating in a way that is as environmentally friendly as possible. It reviews the steps that are being taken to develop and distribute products, evaluating the selection of suppliers right through to the transport of the items for delivery. The standard makes sure that at each step, your company is minimising its impact on the environment and that you are compliant with legal requirements.
Globally, ISO 14001 is the second most used business standard, with over 16,761 certifications issued in the UK alone. It helps companies improve their environmental performance through more efficient use of resources and reduction of waste, enabling your business to hold a competitive advantage and allowing you to win the trust of stakeholders.
ISO 14001, like all ISO Management System Standards, requires continual improvement of an organisation’s systems and approach to environmental concerns. Adopting a continual improvement mindset throughout the organisation can lead to increased productivity and improved efficiency, which are just two of the many advantages of implementing the standard.
5 Major ISO 14001 Benefits for Lighting Companies
Although ISO 14001 is an impressive certificate demonstrating your commitment to the environment, it also offers plenty more benefits which you should see as a result of implementation. Let’s look at 5 major benefits:
- Improved Company Image – increasingly, consumers are concerned about environmental practices of the companies that produce the products they use. With ISO 14001, your company can demonstrate its commitment to identifying and controlling environmental impacts. As a result of this, your company’s reputation will be strengthened, and customer satisfaction improved.
2. Reduced Operating Costs – costs can be reduced as a result of fewer wasted resources, for example, water and energy. Some companies may also find that the standard reduces their insurance premiums.
3. Reduced Employee Turnover – demonstrating your company’s commitment to the environment not only helps to win new business but also helps retain one of your most important assets, your employees.
4. Comply With Government Legislation and Avoid Costly Fines – prove your company is compliant with applicable environmental legislation.
5. Increased Efficiency and Reduction of Waste – from the unnecessary running of machinery to a lack of training causing excess materials to be used, ISO 14001 aims to reduce the amount of waste that companies produce. Using more renewable energy sources and energy-saving processes enables your company to become more efficient.
We Can Help
Overall, ISO 14001 is perfect if you want to take advantage of the above benefits whilst enhancing your environmental performance. Candy Management Consultants are a friendly team of experts within the ISO and Health and Safety industries. We make sure all our services are provided promptly and have an 100% success rate.
Learn more about ISO 14001 and Get in touch to find out more and receive a free, no obligation quote.