What is ISO 9001?
ISO 9001 is the internationally recognised standard for Quality Management Systems. It enables organisations to consistently meet the needs of their customers and other stakeholders. ISO 9001 is based on 7 quality management principles, including having a strong customer focus, the involvement of top management, and a drive for continual improvement. The 7 principles are:
- Customer focus
- Engagement of people
- Process approach
- Evidence-based decision making
- Relationship management
Main Benefits of ISO 9001
Before we jump into how exactly ISO 9001 boosts customer satisfaction, let’s look at some of the main benefits that organisations receive. This should offer more insight into why over 1 million organisations globally are certified to the standard.
The main benefits include:
- Increased revenue – ISO 9001 will provide your company with an improved reputation thanks to its international recognition and the requirements that your business must meet to gain certification. The certification will help you to win new contracts and tenders, whilst increasing efficiency aids customer satisfaction and retention.
- Greater employee engagement – as a result of implementing ISO 9001, internal communications will be improved. Involving employees in process improvements ensures a culture of continual improvement and ensures employees are happier and more productive in their roles.
- Improved customer satisfaction – customer focus is one of the 7 principles of ISO 9001, and it is arguably also one of the most important.
Boosting Customer Satisfaction
Customer satisfaction – get it right and your business will likely thrive. Get it wrong, and disgruntled customers may be the least of your worries with a damaged reputation and loss of revenue. But how does ISO 9001 prevent these risks and more importantly, how does it boost customer satisfaction?
ISO 9001 places an emphasis on customer satisfaction as this is one of the simplest ways to understand whether your QMS (quality management system) is fit for purpose and whether your organisation is delivering the high-quality products or services they say they are.
Customer satisfaction can be significantly boosted by implementing ISO 9001 due to the fact your business will be able to identify problem areas more quickly within the business. For example, problems could include slow shipping, poor quality of products, lack of communication, and more. By identifying these issues, you can take appropriate corrective actions. ISO 9001 will ensure you get in the habit of doing this.
Measuring Customer Satisfaction
Many metrics need assessing when it comes to customer satisfaction, but which matters the most to your business? This will vary based on several different factors. For instance, a construction firm will likely have different metrics they measure when compared to a restaurant. However, some key metrics may include:
- Product/service delivery times – was the product or service delivered on time?
- Customer complaints and support – are these resolved or handled in a timely manner?
- Technical capability – did your product or service meet customers’ needs when it comes to technical performance? Has it fulfilled its claims?
- Quality of documentation – are manuals, instructions, and other documents easy to read and understand? Do these help to minimise errors?
It’s important to consider the metrics that matter the most to your business when it comes to determining and assessing quality. Developing customer satisfaction surveys is a great way to collect feedback that can be used to make improvements to your products or services.
Becoming ISO 9001 Certified
Obtaining ISO 9001 certification can seem daunting, so many use a consultant to be guided through this process.
Candy Management Consultants are a friendly team of experts within the ISO and Health and Safety industries. We pride ourselves on a stress-free, 21st-century approach and have gained recognition for our 100% success rate with all clients. Our consultants will work with your company to implement a bespoke management system tailored to your business’s needs.